Sunday, July 28, 2013

Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta, Run 2-05

Since last time we left Cid in a depressive mood because he thinks he caused the Fire Crystal to shatter.  It kind of is his fault since he built the machine, but he's not really to blame for it because both Queen Karnak (now delusional in bed) and that suicide bomber soldier.  I did find out that after the Fire Crystal shatters, you can obtain a Fire Rod hidden in a barrel.

Yes, you're seeing that right!  I sold my 12 Elixirs!  Because I got Ninja, stealing one means stealing 99.  I was stockpiling Elixirs to prepare for the worst, but the worst that can happen now is getting Dragoon again, and that's only due to how repetitive it would be to last run.  If you're wondering where the 12th Elixir came from, it was in the Fire Ship-I missed it the first pass through.  I needed to go back there anyway because Cid was on the deck.  I had to return to the pub (agh, remembering arbitrary plot triggers out of order, my biggest weakness) to speak to Cid before heading down to the Ancient Library.


BUT FIRST I needed to get my Elixirs back.  See the bottom of the previous post for an explanation of what I did.

Perfect.  I'm going to try to use as few of these as possible, but if I need them they're on the table.  Reina also reached Level 2 Summoner, so I switched her and Galuf to have 2 people capable of casting Shiva.

Man, the Ancient Library is such a cool dungeon, if a bit on the short side.  This room has a few bookshelves that move when you step on specific spots.  It can be a bit of a puzzle the first time through, but it's nothing that challenging to work out.  I don't have that much to say here, I reached the first boss of the dungeon, Ifrit, without getting a single encounter.  Pretty fluke-y.

Pretty sure I can withstand those flames-but can Ifrit withstand the ice of Shiva?  He did knock out 2 people with his Fire2 spell, so I had to use 2 Phoenix Downs.  I'm starting to run out, but there's nowhere to steal them until World 2 and they cost 1000 apiece.  Clearly I need money, and the best way to make it is grinding duplicating weapon steals from enemies.  Just have to wait a bit longer.

Ifrit's Magic Defense is pretty high so Sylph didn't give much healing, thankfully I'm past the point where I'm dependent on it for group healing-just have everyone throw an Elixir :V.

A Fire Rod boosted Ifrit dealt about 900 damage to the Page enemies that this dungeon serves up as random encounters.  The Page 32 and 64 enemies had Potions to steal, not that I need those.  Page 128 enemies held Ethers, and 256 enemies would have yielded Hi-Potions if I had encountered them.  Before long, I had encountered Byblos.
Ummm...well that's pretty cool.  Hopefully I don't waste this opportunity.
This isn't as bad as it looks.  Though I unfortunately did die, the save point is around 20 steps away, and I lost due to Byblos Draining Galuf and oneshotting Faris as I queued up a Phoenix Down.  Mindlessly burning through Byblos's 3600 HP wasn't going to work...or was it?  I could deal 1400 damage a round with 2 Ifrit summons, but if Byblos pulls out a Wind Slash for 200+ damage on everyone there's not much I can do.

So I need to just kill him as fast as possible.  Throwing a Flame Scroll for 1000 damage will do nicely.  Reina got Drained this time but she took the hit very well, and I won without healing outside of reviving Bartz once.  I used the healing pot in the Library, then headed back to Karnak.
I doubt many people have seen this happen!  The Zuu enemy I got a rare steal of an Elixir from also has a rare drop of an Elixir.  99 Elixirs in stock unfortunately means this one was wasted.  I met a few plot triggers of talking to Cid n the pub (Mid cheers him up, yay!) and the Fire Ship which gives me access to it.  Next time we'll go do some nice stuff with it and obtain some optional things to help buff my Summoner, and get a full stock of Hi-Potions and Phoenix Downs.  Also, Galuf got his memory back!

No comments:

Post a Comment